[Bismark-devel] time 1.7

Dave Taht d at taht.net
Sun Apr 17 15:38:52 EDT 2011

On 04/17/2011 11:42 AM, Srikanth Sundaresan wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get GNU time 1.7? The current version of time on
> the build is incompatible with some of our measurement scripts.

General tip: when trying to figure out where a utility comes from, you
can generally do a:

$ dpkg --search /usr/bin/time
time: /usr/bin/time

Which in this case shows that ubuntu/debian time comes from the time
package.

You can then

$ mkdir ~/src/time; cd $_; apt-get source time

to see more about that package and its source.

Anyway...

The version of time in the build is the busybox version, which as you've
noted is quite limited. It would be a good idea to go through the
busybox configuration screen and figure out what additional features are
needed, and what can be dropped. (be gentle here)

In this case, if you really need gnu time,  it would be best to add gnu
time as an openwrt package,
and then drop the applet from the busybox build after it works.
Regrettably it is not already packaged up in openwrt.

Alternatively, the busybox folk are good on accepting patches, so you
could modify busybox to support the syntax for time that you need. As
src goes, busybox is VERY modular and easy to deal with.

Either way, note this problem in the wiki's issues page. I can see how
lacking a good timing utility would be a big problem!