Debloat testing2.6.39-rc4 kernel...

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 20 20:22:55 EDT 2011

I've built (and am running) John Linville's latest debloat-testing
2.6.39-rc4 kernel. It seems to behave alot better than the 2.6.38 kernel
did for me on the Intel iwlagn driver, given (all of) about 10 minutes
of testing.  We haven't tried to play with SFB yet; we've mostly been
router hacking.

I put the packages Dave and I are running (64bit Ubuntu 10.10) on
http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Builds/

I also did a quick script for setting the wireless txqueuelen to
something more reasonable at driver up time; you can find it at:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Wlan_script; at the
moment, it's set to only 32 packets and my latency under load is staying
somewhat reasonable with at least some decent throughput.  But given 10
minutes of smoke testing... Dead puppies are possible.  No warranties,
express or implied...

I documented this in:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Linux_Tips

If people have the ability to set up and Ubuntu PPA, or can run packages
through RH's build system (Koji, iirc), that would be good, so that
people who want to test don't necessarily have to build from source all
the time.  It would be really good to get debloat testing kernel
packages built automatically on an ongoing basis from John's tree,one
way or the other.  The other way to automate this is by using the server
we have now that can build kernels in finite time; we can set up VM's on
to build them. But that is a lot more on-going build system maintenance

So I'm a fan of using the upstream distro build systems for this if we
can; we have lots of build work to do for the work that is underway to
debloat the WNDR3700's running OpenWRT.  Volunteers more than welcome
for either/both.
                     - Jim