Temp range for wndr3700

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Aug 29 10:28:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> The nanostation M5 radios were rated to 70C, and use almost the same
> chipset as in the WNDR3700.
>
> That said, most consumer gear (e.g the wndr3700s) I've played with
> rarely survives for very long at temps higher than 40C, and I have a
> long string of failed gear from other manufacturers in Nicaragua to
> prove that, where the ambient temp is often well above 36C.
>
> The nanostations were the only thing that survived for a long time in
> that environment - (well, they got taken out by rain and lightning)

Thanks. I'll add those to my list of hardware to suggest to people to
lookat.  I think we may have a site in Jamaica that is using
nanostations.

> I will gladly try to come up with some way to bake the wndrs...

I ask because I'd like to start recommending the wndr (or perhaps
another cerowrt compatible device) to OLPC folk in response to
questions about whats good choice for an AP.  The big deployments seem
to have their own methods of choosing and testing but lots of the
smaller sites (say like with 500 or 1000 XO's) spread out over several
sites don't have the ability to do good long term environmental
testing prior to deployment.   We spec the XO to operate fine up to
50C so I wanted to try and find a AP that would match. (even if its
official ratings are not that high).

Ambient at 35C is pretty common for mid-day in the summers for places
that don't have any sort of air conditioning (which is 95% of them) so
if the AP is closed up in a room  or stuck up in some sort of attic it
will easily reach >40C.

The test would need more than just a short term baking.  Although some
sort of test in 50C ambient running heavily loaded and looking at the
rise inside the case would be a good start.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child