oprofiling is much saner looking now with rc6-smoketest

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:32:00 PDT 2011

I get about 190Mbit/sec from netperf now, on GigE, with oprofiling
enabled, driver buffers of 4, txqueue of 8, cerowrt default iptables
rules,
AND web10g patched into kernel 3.0.3.

This is much saner than rc3, and judging from the csum_partial and
copy_user being roughly equal, there isn't much left to be gained...

Nice work.

(Without oprofiling, and without web10g and with tcp cubic I can get
past 250Mbit)

CPU: MIPS 24K, speed 0 MHz (estimated)
Counted INSTRUCTIONS events (Instructions completed) with a unit mask
of 0x00 (No unit mask) count 100000
samples  %        app name                 symbol name
17277    13.8798  vmlinux                  csum_partial
  17277    100.000  vmlinux                  csum_partial [self]
16607    13.3415  vmlinux                  __copy_user
  16607    100.000  vmlinux                  __copy_user [self]
11913     9.5705  ip_tables                /ip_tables
  11913    100.000  ip_tables                /ip_tables [self]
8949      7.1893  nf_conntrack             /nf_conntrack
  8949     100.000  nf_conntrack             /nf_conntrack [self]

In this case I was going from laptop - gige - through another
rc6-smoketest router - to_this_box's internal lan port.

It bugs me that iptables and conntrack eat so much cpu for what
is an internal-only connection, e.g. one that
doesn't need conntracking.

That said, I understand that people like their statistics, and me,
I'm trying to make split-tcp work better, ultimately, one day....

I'm going to rerun this without the fw rules next.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com