oprofiling is much saner looking now with rc6-smoketest

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:28:28 PDT 2011

I took a little more time out to play with netperf at these extreme
performance values, while puzzled about the performance knee observed
midway through the previous tests.

The three tests runs this evening (and captures!) are up at:

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/rc6-smoke-captures/

For test 3, I rebooted the router into it's default tx ring (64), and
set a txqueuelen of 128, running cubic...

Measured throughput was mildly better (admittedly on a fresh boot,
oprofile not even loaded) 229Mbit,
and we didn't have a drop off at all, so I'm still chasing that...

What I found interesting was the 10 second periodicity of the
drop-offs. My assumption is that this is a timer being fired from
somewhere (netperf?) that blocks the transmission...

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/rc6-smoke-captures/txqueuelen128and10seconddropcycle.png

test 4 will repeat the above sans oprofile, with the current default
cerowrt settings for dma tx (4) and txqueuelen 8. If I get to it
tonight.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com