latency limiting to 4ms?

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Mon Feb 28 08:19:50 EST 2011

I'm about to get on a plane but I saw this thread on lkml go by:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/b0add1502aafa46f/28dd3798b3d5e4f9?lnk=raot

Where the proposed sched_fifo_ewma.c code in that thread:

"Well, with 10ms buffer timeout latency goes to 10-20ms on 54Mbit wifi
link (zd1211rw driver) from >500ms (ping rtt when iperf running same
time). So for that it's good enough. "

And, well, I'd like to go for 4ms across the entire transmit
range. 10-20ms is *just barely* on the wrong side for voip and audio
applications, and the above stat is being measured at 54Mbit.

Someone care to leap in over there?

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net