Getting current interface queue sizes

Justin McCann jneilm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:26:46 EST 2011

This may be well-known, but how does one retrieve the current outgoing and
incoming queue sizes from the link-layer interfaces? I mean the number of
packets/bytes in the various queues, not the size of the buffers (potential
queue size). I've mucked around with ethtool and netlink to grab other
statistics, but haven't found any way to pull the current queue sizes into
userspace.

If there isn't any way to do it, I'll work on it if someone points me in the
right direction.

I'm mostly interested in the e1000 and bnx2 drivers at present.

Thanks,
    Justin