smoketest #6 of cerowrt is go for testing

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Mon Jul 18 13:40:07 EDT 2011

On 07/16/2011 09:35 PM, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 00:02 UTC, Rick Jones<rick.jones2 at hp.com>  wrote:
>> If you configure ntpd with bare IP addresses rather than names, will the
>> getaddrinfo() return without attempting any DNS in the first place?
>
> Yes, basically.  ntpd might not even call getaddrinfo() in that case
> (it may use inet_pton() or similar to convert the IP address to binary
> representation).  At any rate, using only numeric IPv4 or IPv6
> addresses will avoid any DNS lookups.

If it does still call getaddrinfo(), like netperf does, and if it does
happen to set AI_ADDRCONFIG, like netperf does, then the getaddrinfo()
call for a bare IPv6 address will fail if there are only link-scope IPv6
addresses assigned and the getaddrinfo() is the same as Ubuntu's.  This
seems to be a change in the linux space since 2008, although I cannot
say that conclusively because in 2008, netperf wasn't setting
AI_ADDRCONFIG. But I have vague recollections of the calls working under
linux since AI_ADDRCONFIG was set in netperf.

rick jones