still coping with zero packet loss over wireless

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:46:59 PDT 2011

yesterday I finally got a chance to move a few dozen meters out of the lab
and test the latest build of uberwrt "capetown" and debloat-testing.

I'd hoped with the debloating techniques in place in capetown - reduced
buffers (4), reduced sw retries (2), hw retries (2, or so I thought) I'd
actually see some packet loss.

and what I saw instead, was pings that would take as long as 1.6 seconds to
complete, and zero packet loss until I moved completely out of range of the
router.

I never thought it would be so hard to lose a packet in my life!

Is there some system tunable, somewhere, in the linux wireless stack that
I've missed, in getting packets to actually fail in 10s of ms?

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com