adding nat awareness in routing daemons?

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 03:04:31 EDT 2011

after shooting myself in the foot on this several times in the past
couple months, I thought I'd ask...

Is there a way to determine generically (in linux at least) if outgoing
addresses on an interface are being NATTed or not? via netlink? I can
come up with a way to do this via parsing iptables's nat table but
that's kind of ugly.

The scenario I have is two (or more) routers with their external
interfaces connected to a shared ethernet/cable segment. Both do NAT on
their external interfaces for ipv4 (but don't do nat, at least
currently, for ipv6). Their private networks are usually connected
together via various means (mesh mostly), which can fail, and it would
be nice to be able to add the external connectivity as a fallback
without having to worry about NAT.

e.g. something like

if (nat_status(&this_interface)) {
         if(this_interface & IPV4_NO_NAT) send_route4_calculations();
         if(this_interface & IPV6_NO_NAT) send_route6_calculations();
}

Where I did myself in on this was in the lab

http://io.lab.bufferbloat.net:8080/