Preliminary results of using GPS to look for clock skew

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 08:10:43 EDT 2011

On 09/23/2011 11:38 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> Thirdly - as much as I would like to get a PPS signal, that seems
> impossible with the hardware we are
> currently playing with. That said, delays/variations of 10ms are not a
> real problem as the bufferbloat signal
> can often be measured in close order of seconds.

The cheapest GPS timing receiver, which includes a PPS signal, that I am
aware of is the Garmin GPS18LVC. It requires soldering to a serial port
connector, and also needs a +5VDC power source such as can be obtained
from a USB port, but it is a very capable device.

Note that it needs to be the LVC variant - other variants of the GPS18
lack the PPS signal.