[Babel-users] DLEP [was: switching cerowrt to quagga-babeld issues]

Henning Rogge hrogge at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:36:56 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> I would like to point you towards a nice feature that Henning is
>> currently implementing: DLEP - a (mostly routing protocol independent)
>> framework for communicating settings and metrics between a radio and
>> a routing daemon.
>
> I reviewed an early draft of that.

The current draft is not really in a good shape, still a lot of
"proprietary" stuff and complexity that has the get out.

> As I understand DLEP, it is a standardised way to implement the "thin
> access point" model that Cisco and friends are promoting -- a complex
> (and expensive) controller associated with a number of dumb APs.  This
> is a good way to enable mobility between APs with unmodified stations,
> it's a good way to make network administrators happy (centralised
> administration), and also a good way to make Cisco happy (since the
> controller can be sold for much, much more than an AP).

It also will allow us with an easy way to access link layer metrics,
even from radios we can only reach over ethernet.

> Standardising the protocol that the controller uses to communicate with
> the APs is a worthy goal, but pretty much orthogonal to mesh networking
> research.

Yes, it is... it might become a good raw data source for the metric
calculation of any kind of mesh routing protocol.

Henning Rogge

--
Steven Hawkings about cosmic inflation: "An increase of billions of
billions of percent in a tiny fraction of a second. Of course, that