RRUL test prototypes

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Thu Jan 3 15:22:50 EST 2013

On 12/31/2012 03:01 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> Toke made enormous progress on a RRUL test prototype over the last 2
> months. It requires a recent netperf, python, python's matplotlib, and
> netperf-wrappers.
>
> For basic install on a debian/ubuntu box:
>
> sudo apt-get remove netperf
> svn co http://www.netperf.org/svn/netperf2/trunk/ netperf-2.7
> cd netperf-2.7

strictly speaking I have not declared a netperf-2.7 and at least as I'm
typing am not sure if the current top-of-trunk will become 2.7.0 or
2.6.1 (I have to see if I've changed the control messages size since 2.6.0)

BTW, in Ubuntu at least I have gotten into the habit of not apt-get
removing the supplied netperf, but sudo service netperf stop instead,
then build my bits and then copy the netperf and netserver binary to
/usr/bin (where Ubuntu puts them) and an sudo service netperf start.
That way I do not have to remember to start a netserver each time I
reboot the OS.

> You can also run mtr at the same time in another window to see where
> the bottlenecks are. If you are not based in the US, you should setup
> a netperf netserver nearer by than
> snapon (which is in california) - there's one in germany for example.

I'll mention again just for completeness that a top-of-trunk
netperf/netserver includes support for a required passphrase to be
provided by netperf to netserver to run a test between them.  It is
somewhat lame as the passphrase is passed in cleartext, but probably
still better than a wide-open netserver on the Internet.

happy benchmarking,

rick