monitoring queue length

Azin Neishaboori azin.neishaboori at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 02:37:33 EST 2018

Hi Jonathan
Thank you for your response. I think did not describe my setup well in the
first email. So here it goes:

I have an ubuntu virtual machine on my laptop that sends/receives data from
remote iperf servers. My laptop is connected by a 100Mbps Ethernet cable to
a router, and the router has two cellular antennas and an LTE SIM. The
router routes all the incoming and outgoing traffic to/from the VM from/to
remote iperf servers using the cellular link. The cellular link is thus my
bottleneck link, and I am looking for queue buildup at the router’s egress
interface, i.e., the cellular interface. I am looking into uplink mostly,
and the uplink rate of LTE is both limited and has errors. The uplink rate
I see is around 10 Mbps on a good received signal strength condition.

So based on the dumbbell topology you described, I should see queue buildup
at the egress cellular interface of the router, right?
 But when I periodically (once every second) run tc -s qdisc ls, the
backlog is consistently zero. Am I looking at the wrong information? Or am
I missing something even bigger?

Thanks a lot
Azin