monitoring queue length

Azin Neishaboori azin.neishaboori at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:05:27 EST 2018

Hi
Pardon me if this is too elementary a question. But I am not sure how to
see the length of a queue on an interface. I have changed the qdisc
configuration from default pfifo_fast to pfifo to get
statistics. All I see though is a report on backlog.

The output I see is like this:
Sent 938609238 bytes 780809 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0

I do not know if this backlog is indeed queue length or not. It seems
strange to be queue length, because even when I flood the network with high
UDP data rates over capacity, it still shows 0b of backlog. Am I looking at
the wrong parameter? If so, could you please point out the tool that shows
the instantaneous queue length?

Thanks a lot