[Bloat] SFB and Dan Siemon's tests

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Apr 3 14:19:22 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've finally found some time to try to understand Dan Siemon's results
on

  http://www.coverfire.com/archives/2011/02/21/network-latency-experiments/

That's some excellent work, Dan, a lot of thanks for it.

If I read it right, the BDP is 5 packets (4Mbit/s times 15ms), and SFB
is being run with a per-flow queue length of 20 packets (the default);
hence, it should be able to swallow the bursts necessary in order to
fill the link.  The chaotic variations in latency, as well as the high
packet loss, indicate that either there's something wrong with the
implementation, or that somebody somewhere is sending massive bursts of
packets that sfb is discarding, as it is designed to do.

It would be good to have a graph of packet loss as a function of time,
in order to check if SFB is converging too slowly in this case.

-- Juliusz