[Bloat] Simplified Bloat explanation

Bob Briscoe bob.briscoe at bt.com
Wed Apr 13 06:42:07 EDT 2011

Bruce,

The candy factory analogy is a useful one. Thanks

However, I wouldn't associate it with the usage-billing issue or with
NN. I know that was your original motivation for writing this, but
the two issues (bandwith and latency) need to be treated separately.

Just because buffer bloat is slowing the little transfers (individual
candies), doesn't mean anything about how much bandwidth is needed to
transfer predicted volumes of data in reasonable time. That's about
how many Ethels are employed to meet total demand for wrapping
candies, which could still be an issue (or not) irrespective of
whether we take away the hats and buckets.

The association with NN & usage-billing merely serves to confuse what
is an otherwise helpful explanation.

Bob