[Bloat] Network computing article on bloat

Constantine Dovrolis dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:30:56 EDT 2011

Thanks Wes - I was hoping that someone will make this point.

btw, another common reason for lossless operation is the
size of the flows. basically flows often finish before their
window increases so much that they overflow their bottleneck's
buffer.

Plz spend some time to read the following paper:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fac/Constantinos.Dovrolis/Papers/buffers-ton.pdf
It is very relevant to the bufferbloat initiative and it shows clearly,
I think, that statements like "Big Buffers Bad. Small Buffers Good."
are crude oversimplifications that will cause even more confusion.

regards

Constantine

On 4/26/2011 4:21 PM, Wesley Eddy wrote:

> Operating with infinite storage and operating without packet loss are
> two different things.
>
> Ideally, you may have a path with ample bandwidth such that packet
> losses don't occur and all connections are either application limited or
> receive window limitedand congestion control never kicks in. In this
> case, there's no loss and the Internet clearly works.

Constantine Dovrolis, Associate Professor
College of Computing, Georgia Institute of Technology
3346 KACB, 404-385-4205, dovrolis at cc.gatech.edu
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~dovrolis/