[Bloat] queuebloat

Bob Briscoe bob.briscoe at bt.com
Wed Apr 13 12:29:06 EDT 2011

Jim,

By the end I think I had already addressed a lot of the concerns you
stated at the start of the mail:
- Yes, the name of this exercise is water under the bridge.
- Buffers still have to be reasonably sized (my footnote covered that already)

However, three responses inline (prefixed "BB:")...

At 15:30 13/04/2011, Jim Gettys wrote:
>On 04/13/2011 07:19 AM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
>>The problem is actually queuebloat, not bufferbloat. The buffer is
>>the memory set aside for the queue. The queue is how much of the
>>memory is used to store packets or frames.
>
>I think you are picking nits on the naming, though if you'd had the
>suggestion last fall, I might have gone for it

BB: As I said, I'm picking nits on the naming, not suggesting it
should be changed at this stage.

But having a misleading name does make the nuancing harder - there's
a lot of practitioners out there who don't need or want to understand
anything - they have no idea about why they should do things - they
just put together strings of feature buzz-words. That's how most of
the industry works.

It only needs some researcher with only a partial grasp of the issue
to pick up the word bufferbloat as the new sexy research fashion,
then publish their research results showing that smaller buffers will
make things worse. Then we have to start explaining we didn't really
mean bufferbloat, yada yada, and it starts to make us look like we
might not have known what we were talking about. While our researcher
friend with half a brain starts running around crowing that his
marvellous new research has proved us wrong,... when all he's
actually done is proved that the word we chose as a name was not
quite precise enough.

>And there are buffers that hide in systems that are not packet
>queues, that people also should be aware
>of (e.g. encryption buffers, error correction buffers, buffers in
>applications used for pipelining, etc).

BB: Good point. I guess your point again is that many of these
buffers are not anything like as parsimoniously sized as they should be.

But these buffers are harder to cut down below a certain minimum,
because they actually serve a function. There's no magic like AQM
that can keep these buffers unoccupied most of the time.

>So I'm not convinced that queuebloat is a better term, as it is less
>general than the phenomena I was trying
>to describe.  In any case, I think it's water under the dam at this date.
>

>>We don't want vendors to (necessarily*) reduce the size of the
>>buffer, we want them to reduce the size of the standing queue. They
>>can do that with active queue management (AQM) (if we only knew how
>>to code it robustly). Ideally with ECN too, but AQM would be a good start.
>
>Some of these buffers are truly bloated, and/or not sized even
>approximately related to the bandwidth available (e.g. the 1.2
>seconds of buffering I observed on my DOCSIS3 modem, or similar
>horror stories in DSL), or the 1000 packet transmit queue in
>Linux.  These buffers are often sized by all the memory that is
>available, and the hardware vendors can't get small enough chips to
>"correctly" size them, (as though we knew what the bandwidth was, or
>the delay was, one of the mythologies that got us into this mess).
>
>One of the first steps (well short of the nirvana of AQM), is to at
>least get the buffers sized to something sane, and related to the
>bandwidth the hardware is being operated at. And as each generation
>of new kit is built (and often as a market requirement has to plug
>into downward compatible hardware), it's been getting worse.
>
>  This is what the cable folks are in the middle of doing; it's
> obviously safe to at least have the buffer sizes approximately
> proportional to the bandwidth at which the device is operating
> (similarly for the Linux transmit queue; if you are at 100Mbps, you
> can cut the size by a factor of 10 without any danger).  With the
> ability to go hundreds of megabits/second but most customers paying
> for 10-20Mbps, it is pretty obvious the buffer size had better be
> related to the bandwidth of operation, and never be a static buffer
> sized for the worst case.
>
>Let's not lose sight of immediate, safe mitigations that are at
>hand, while working on AQM with or without ECN, though that is the
>only real, long term solution.

BB: The two stage fix might work for some types of product, where
continual fixes are the norm. But in other types of product, each fix
involves an engineer visit and a box swap out, which you don't want
to be doing more than once if you can help it.

I'm trying to help.

Cheers

Bob