[Bloat] Summary: Windows file sharing

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 1 01:38:20 EST 2011

I believe my Windows file sharing is finally working by making the
router a WINS server.  Here is a summary of everything (?) I think you
have to do:

1)  On each PC, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  I found this disabled on
both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines.  Go to the properties for your
network adapter, select Internet Protocol Version 4 then click on the
Properties button.  When the Properties window comes up, click on the
Advanced... button in the lower-right hand corner.  When the Advanced
Settings window comes up, make sure that "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
is selected.  LMHOSTS lookup can be on or off.

2)  Install the samba3 package on the router to enable WINS support, via:

    opkg update
    opkg install samba3 luci-app-samba

    (or install via the web interface)

3)  By default, /etc/config/samba will look like:

    config samba
        option 'name'                   'openwrt'
        option 'workgroup'              'openwrt'
        option 'description'            'openwrt'
        option 'homes'                  '1'

    config sambashare
        option 'name'                   'tmp'
        option 'path'                   '/tmp'
        option 'read_only'              'no'
        option 'guest_ok'               'no'
        option 'create_mask'            '0700'
        option 'dir_mask'               '0700'
        #option 'users'                 'abc'

    Change the 'workgroup' option above to match your Windows
workgroup name, or re-configure the workgroup of all the Windows
computers to be OPENWRT (matches default 'workgroup' above)

4)  There are not one, but two errors in the present /etc/config/dhcp
file.  You only have to fix the first one:

    config 'dhcp' 'sw00'
       option interface        'sw00'
       option start    2
       option limit    26
       list 'dhcp_option' '42,0.0.0.0'
       option leasetime        24h
       option domain   'home.lan'

    The dhcp options for supplying WINS are not set, so add the
following line to /etc/config/dhcp after the existing dhcp_option line
shown above:

    list 'dhcp_option' '44,0.0.0.0'

5)  Modify "/etc/samba/smb.conf.template" and add this line to the
[global] section:

    wins support = yes

6)  Start samba via:

    /etc/init.d/samba start

7)  Open Windows Explorer, and make sure you can see the computers on
the wireless subnet from the computers on the wired subnet, and
vice-versa (this will be in the Network section in the lower-left hand
corner).  Try to access the file share of a remote system using its
Windows file path:

    \\WIRED (from a wireless computer)

7)  One it's all working, open the router GUI, click on the System tab
in the top row, then on the Startup tab in the second row.  Make sure
the "samba" is Enabled.  This is so Samba starts when the router is
rebooted.

Special thanks to Robert Bradley and David Täht for all their help and
suggestions (mostly copied verbatim to the instructions above), and
especially their patience while I tried to make this work, and neither
of them having access to a Windows 7 machine.

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us