[Bloat] Summary: Windows file sharing

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Dec 1 13:35:22 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:21:45AM -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I have my own personal Windows XP laptop.  Even after configuring
> "NetBIOS over TCP/IP", the computer still could not see the workgroup!

Note that browsing (seeing the workgroup, being able to list other machines)
is separate from name resolution (hostname -> IP address). WINS only gives
you the latter.

Windows browsing information can generally not cross subnets unless you are
on a domain, you have a special browse master machine on each subnet
(configured to sync to each other), or you do special magic to the broadcast
packets.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/