[Bloat] Large buffers: deliberate optimisation for HTTP?

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Fri Feb 4 16:35:02 PST 2011

Shouldn't a ns2 animation suffice - like the one on the DCTCP site:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/cloudfaster/

I'll try to revive my ns2 installation, and do some simulation, one with 1000 buffers per hop (and slightly less bandwidth at each hops forward direction), and one with 10 buffers FIFO. However, I'm no ns2 expert - one could add color-marked frames, and also track the RTT latency (making a graph next to the packet simulation). No promises, though.

Richard

        Animation to show bufferbloat badly needed...
      gettys | February 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Categories: Bufferbloat, Networking | URL: http://wp.me/pfzIQ-8O

If you are facile at putting together animations, a great public service would be to build an animation (preferably web based) that demonstrates the consequences of bufferbloat. Ideally, there would be two such animations: one demonstrating simple single path bufferbloat (something vaguely like this) and the other showing a more complex network of machines, demonstrating aggregate forms of bufferbloat. This would help engineers, their managers, and the general public understand the problem much more easily.

Let us know at bufferbloat.net if you are interested in helping here.

Add a comment to this post