[Bloat] Wireless router configuration

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Feb 1 12:33:05 EST 2011

On 02/01/2011 12:10 PM, Seth Teller wrote:

> Hello bloat fighters,
>
> Jim G. wrote me off-list:
>
> "[Y]ou can't adjust the cable modem; you can use your router
> (maybe) to evade the buffers there, by adjusting bandwidth
> shaping to keep the buffers from filling. That's what I've
> done: my latencies are now about 10-20ms to MIT, even under load."
>
> Can someone state more specifically what should be adjusted on
> my wireless router? (It's a Netgear Wireless-N 150 WNR1000v2.)

Basic instructions are here:

http://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/bufferbloat-mitigations/

We should move that page over into the bufferbloat.net wiki, and start
specific instructions for different routers linked from it.

In short, you are looking in the router for something called QOS or
bandwidth shaping, that allow you to set the upstream and downstream
bandwidth.

By limiting the bandwidth to less than what the ISP has provisioned, you
can prevent the bloated buffers from filling.

Since you have an N router, make sure your laptop is similarly equipped,
and if you ensure you have enough bandwidth, you'll then not have other
problems in your laptop or in the router around the 802.11 link.

How to attack those problems is found in:

http://gettys.wordpress.com/2010/12/13/mitigations-and-solutions-of-bufferbloat-in-home-routers-and-operating-systems/

I believe Dave has converted both pages; I'm not sure they are linked
into the wiki yet.
			- Jim