[Bloat] First draft of complete "Bufferbloat And You" enclosed.

richard richard at pacdat.net
Sat Feb 5 21:50:45 EST 2011

Back in 1996, shortly after iStar (Canada's first national ISP) bought
our Wimsey.COM regional, I got a chance to speak in front of a bunch of
people who were both customers and suppliers of the long distance
backbone (alternative) supplier that had spawned iStar.

As the lone internet speaker of the 3 keynotes, I talked about the
future, including things like $0.01/minute long distance using VOIP and
such.

Got my hand slapped hard right after and never got the opportunity to
speak for that company in public again. The company has gone bust.

Telus - the local ILEC here, has been using VOIP technology for their
long distance trunks for the past 10+ years - a leader in the technology
and the dominant in the field other than Bell here.

The next company my buddies and I formed did a bunch of stuff that
included ATM interface equipment and add/drop multiplexers, etc., all to
interface to IP.

Lately I have not heard much about ATM - seems to have pretty much
disappeared it seems :)

I lived this fight - from being told we could no longer use metered
phone lines for our modems, through being screwed over using Centrex
lines, US Robotics modems velcro'd on the wall, all of it.

I even started out climbing telephone poles and installing Strouger
(electro-mechanical) phone switches back in the late 60's -  as the sig
on Slashdot says - "been there, done that..." :)

richard

--
Richard C. Pitt                 Pacific Data Capture
rcpitt at pacdat.net               604-644-9265