[Bloat] Letter to CACM?

Alex Burr ajb44.geo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 19:51:42 EST 2011

> Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>
> On 02/07/2011 05:15 AM, Simon Leinen wrote:
>  No ideas on how to reach the IEEE audience, I'm more of an ACM type
> >  myself.  IETF is probably not bad, because it has some overlap with  the
> > IEEE network community.
>
> Yup.  But we do need to keep  this audience firmly in mind: they are often in
>control of the purse-strings for  a lot of the hardware on the
> net. ACM is but one of a number of important  audiences.

Some places to try:
www.lightreading.com , covers the telco and networking markets.
www.dslprime.com , a newsletter covering the same market.
www.broadband-forum.org ,  A standards organisation for the access network (dsl
and fiber).
http://metroethernetforum.org

Analysts such as www.linleygroup.com and http://www.heavyreading.com.

Another thing is - suppose you run an ISP with a zillion switches, and you want
to find if any of them have this problem. How do you go about it? It's easy
enough to manually measure the latency of one path, but you want to scan your
whole network looking for latency problems. The obvious place to do this is in
the software which already manages the zillion switches. In the telco world this
seems to be called OSS (Operations Systems Support, not Open Source Software).
So another group to reach out to are the people who write that, and the
equivalent for more internet oriented shops.
I don't know much about such software, except that it probably uses ethernet OAM
protocols (802.1ag, ITU Y.1731 etc). Y.1731 includes latency measurement,
although I suspect you could also get a crude latency estimate using 802.1ag.

Alex