[Bloat] How do we shift the market?

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Tue Feb 8 11:09:01 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 04:03:17PM -0500, Eric Raymond wrote:
> richard <richard at pacdat.net>:
> > We should probably come up with a list of key words/phrases that such
> > tests and comments and complaints and such can be easily categorized
> > under - terms that can be used in a marketing sense.
> >
> > Things like "multi-mode stress test" or "bandwidth-latency test"
> > Or how about a set of classifications of equipment based on what they
> > can deal with: 1-user throughput, family-capable throughput or???
> >
> > How about "twitch latency" for the gamer market?
> >
> > It's hard to talk cohesively about the problem if we don't all use the
> > same terms with the same implied (and defined) words. Getting at least
> > some of them nailed down now will make a difference in the long run.
> >
> > I see wiki.bufferbloat.net has the "It Works" up on it - a page here on
> > terms would be a good thing.
>
> I am *so* there! :-)
>
> I'll start a glossary page.

(Not strictly direct at Eric...)

Is there any sort of standard metric for "latency under load"?
If not, should we define one?

What would be meaningful?  If you achieve a low latency at some
high percentage of bandwidth usage, does that always imply you can
expect similarly low latencies with lower bandwidth usage?  If not,
how should our "LUL" metric account for such variance?

Sorry if these are dumb questions -- remember, I'm an L2
knuckle-dragger... :-)

John