[Bloat] Analyzing wireless multiqueue behavior & bufferbloat

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Fri Feb 11 14:07:20 EST 2011

(I note that although my personal focus is on wireless, that bufferbloat
is a current problem in many/most other types of devices, and I do not
want the bufferbloat discussion dominated by wireless issues.)

I suppose it would help others a little bit if others knew the formerly
private email jean was responding to:

I'd written:

All:

I've (as yet) been unable to dig up anything that coherently explains
how the Linux mq and multiq qdiscs (if indeed, they are different) are
supposed to be hooked up to the wireless driver portion of the stack,
and managed.

There also seems to be an impedance mismatch between the availability of
various theoretical QoS mechanisms in the 802.11 standards and their
actual implementations in the networking stacks. We're treating wireless
too much like ethernet to the detriment of the entire internet.

I have no insight at all as to how things are done on Apple products.

High on my list is making TX_RETRY a tunable.

And I'm deeply concerned about possible side-effects of packet
aggregation in 802.11n.

I've also been unable to dig up the original mosquitonet paper - or
something more current - that determined the need for link layer error
correction/retransmits in the first place.

Perhaps you guys could ask around for more/better information on these
issues and get back on them to the bloat list? [1]

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net