[Bloat] 2 weeks worth of progress on bufferbloat

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Sat Feb 12 17:43:59 EST 2011

Bill Sommerfeld <wsommerfeld at google.com> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 13:43, Dave Täht <d at taht.net> wrote:
>> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Humor
>
> overheard at work: "Bufferbloat .. is that the new global warming?"

God I hope not. I got involved in this after seeing some top minds
(nagle, phil karn) NOT get the size of the unmanaged buffers problem,
and clueless commenters on slashdot and arstechnica... And I still have
the claw marks on my back from both sides of the AGW debate.

At least we can experiment with bufferbloat without putting the planet
at risk. Mostly. I am not alarmed enough yet to make comparisons to
Y2K[1] - but will sleep better after the background bufferbloat detector
starts working AND hopefully a few years worth of data can serve as a
baseline for whatever trend might exist. I got bogged down in detail
between ntp's data types and postgres and haven't had a chance to get
back to it.

I tossed your joke into the humor page anyway.

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net

1: http://www.taht.net/uncle_bills_helicopter.html