[Bloat] Background Bufferbloat Detector

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Wed Feb 16 14:03:49 EST 2011

Hi Sean,

the ingenous idea of Dave was to exactly NOT have to deploy custom software
across the ENTIRE internet to measuer bufferbloat.

Furthermore, if you deploy custom software everywhere (remember that not
even ECN made it into widespread deployment in the last decade, despite
clear benefits to the global internet - not "just" measuring something),
you'd even be better off measuring "real" traffic instead of some
aritificial additional (side-band) traffic. Ie. there are a few vendors, who
have default QoS settings to make ICMP appear "good" (no bufferbloat), while
TCP and regular UDP traffic is clearly affected...

NTP is one of ony a few protocols in wide-spread use, which actually allows
some time-measurments from regular (already deployed, in wide-spread use)
clients.

And, like DNS, you only need to look at a couple of servers, instead of
touching literally tens and hundreds of thousands of hosts, just to get a
first glimpse...

And yes, any custom protocol can clearly measure stuff much nicer and
cleaner - but since you can NOT touch the other side (modify the TCP/IP
stack, remotely launch custom software to send out funny traffic etc), you
need to use what's already there.

BTW: One additional idea which might be worthwhile to investigate:

Perhaps Bittorrent Clients can be used to export the one-way delay, as
measured by the µTP protocol, to build an complementary background
bufferbloat detector - uTP is currently the only protocol in wide-spread
use, which measures one-way delay (instead of RTT), and automagically probes
a wide swath of the internet. However, uTP also uses the one-way delay
measurements in it's congestion control scheme, so it may "pollute" the
measurements by itself... But if a TCP session is running in parallel and
filling buffers, that should be a clear signal.

And, hosting legal content on one's own Bittorrent Client should provide
ample opportunity to get decent measurements, without the need to negotiate
with someone else about taking readings off some debug-log from an NTP
server....

Best regards,
   Richard