[Bloat] TCP vegas vs TCP cubic

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Fri Feb 4 10:18:34 EST 2011

Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> writes:

>> I did some testing on a de-bloated device and vegas actually did
>> slightly better than cubic
>
> That's strange.  Vegas should not be reacting to the base delay, only to
> jitter.

The insanely high amount of TX_RETRY (13) on the first (nanostation)
network might have had something to do with it. The debloated device (a
wndr 5700) had TX_RETRY=4.

It remains puzzling.

I am doing a new build of openwrt for the nanostation net (incorporating
babel-1.1 - thx!) But ran into problems elsewhere in getting a build
done, so I'm a ways from being able to play with this comprehensibly.

And I'd like to expose TX_RETRY to userspace at some point.
And it would be cool to get more drivers - like the iwl-lagn - debloated.

> --Juliusz

Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net