[Bloat] First draft of complete "Bufferbloat And You" enclosed.

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sat Feb 5 08:42:18 EST 2011

Several reactions:

1) the latency-speed connection needs to be emphasised; along with
bandwidth !=speed. You can at least start to attack the conflation of
"speed" and "bandwidth" that is in the market.

Some highways "meter" car entrance exactly to provide smooth flow on the
on ramps and avoid having parking lots (stationary highways).

In fact, a highway *is* a parking lot.  It has a capacity of stationary
cars.

But memory is sooo cheap we've paved Texas over with extra road, just in
case.

2) classification itself is not evil; but if you don't fix the bloat
first, you end with way too much complexity, and
and still have problems anyway. At best, you've limited who suffers; at
worst, you've made sure the "right" cars haven't suffered here, but when
they get to a different part of the network, they'll still suffer
(QOS isn't universal, much less your complicated rules). Fix the bloat:
then classify.

To use the telephone analogy, classification will still result in
dropped calls or fast busy, if you aren't on a privileged phone.

To use the highway analogy, only a few areas have carpool lanes, and
most of the highway is still jammed.  Once the carpool lanes are gone
(you get to another part of the network), you're still stuck behind
miles of traffic.

At the end, you've got some problems:

First, we don't yet have good solutions for the wireless /variable
bandwidth case; we have hopeful avenues we're exploring, Claiming we can
fix all of it right now is overstating the problem.  We can immediately
reduce pain right now, and I hope within a year or three fix it for real.

Many people will need to replace their routers, and will believe that is
expensive; and to them, buying a $100 router *is* expensive. Remember
your audience. And various ISP's aren't going to like the bottom line
cost of replacing/upgrading all the broken equipment.
			- Jim