[Bloat] Letter to CACM?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Feb 7 12:45:16 EST 2011

On 02/07/2011 05:15 AM, Simon Leinen wrote:
> Jim Gettys writes:
>> 3) I'm presenting at the Transport Area meeting at the upcoming IETF
>> in Prague in late April.
>
> (It's actually more like "late March" :-)

Yes, I misspoke: I actually have my hotel reservations now and need to
make my plane reservations soon.

>> I have 30 minutes (plus questions), so have to do serious surgery on
>> my existing talk.  I don't know the deadline on those slides yet, but
>> suspect they will be due by around the end of the month.
>
> In general, IETF practice is relatively liberal about slides being
> modified until the very last moment, although it's nice to have them
> uploaded so that remote attendees can browse them while following the
> presentation over audio streaming.

Lars wants a draft of the slides by around the end of this month.

> If you/we want to submit an Internet-Draft for discussion, the cut-off
> dates are 7 March for initial contributions (-00 drafts), and 14 March
> for revisions. (http://www.ietf.org/meeting/cutoff-dates-2011.html).

Thanks for the dates; I dunno if I can have something written by then,
much less to ID formatting standards; it's been a while since I was in
the ID submission business, though the lord knows I've submitted a lot
of them for RFC 2068 and 2616.  I have no idea what tools are best for
that these days.

> Earlier is always better, of course.

Heh.

> No ideas on how to reach the IEEE audience, I'm more of an ACM type
> myself.  IETF is probably not bad, because it has some overlap with the
> IEEE network community.

Yup.  But we do need to keep this audience firmly in mind: they are
often in control of the purse-strings for a lot of the hardware on the
net. ACM is but one of a number of important audiences.
			- Jim