[Bloat] How do we shift the market?

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Tue Feb 8 11:27:00 EST 2011

Eric Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> writes:

> richard <richard at pacdat.net>:
>> I see wiki.bufferbloat.net has the "It Works" up on it - a page here on
>> terms would be a good thing.

There *is* no wiki.bufferbloat.net site.

Successful lookups for that are artifact of bufferbloat.net's current
DNS provider, name.com, which not only never serves up a NXDOMAIN
record, but supplies a *random*, *invalid* ipv6 address for it.

d at cruithne:$ host wiki.bufferbloat.net

  wiki.bufferbloat.net has address 149.20.54.81

  wiki.bufferbloat.net has IPv6 address 1d00:6574:63:6f6d:6c:2e63:2800:0

d at cruithne:$ host a.random.site.bufferbloat.net

  a.random.site.bufferbloat.net has address 149.20.54.81
  a.random.site.bufferbloat.net has IPv6 address
  7262:6c6f:6174:36e:6574:2036:3034:3830

I first noticed this behavior a few weeks ago. Originally it was worse -
it would wildcard all invalid names to an ad-filled site.

The number of things that this behavior breaks is rather large: email
rbls, people that default to ipv6, the fact that I cannot use short
hostnames, and more than once a typo sent me to the wrong machine
entirely.

I've been meaning to take these issues up with name.com once I can do so
calmly, and rationally, with tact, and diplomacy.

For now, please stick with www.bufferbloat.net as your entry point to
the site!

> I am *so* there! :-)
>
> I'll start a glossary page.

There's one started. I don't know if redmine can do a media-wiki like
thing and let us mark articles as belonging to a given catagory? So I
setup the glossary page to just {{include(other pages)}} for now.

I would love to see all the terms we are using tightly defined, with
definitions on the wiki... Y'all

In particular I would like to extend "Dark Buffers" to include the
concept of retries - or come up with another term for it.

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net