[Bloat] First draft of complete "Bufferbloat And You" enclosed.

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Feb 8 14:43:11 EST 2011

> If too many cars try to use the road at once, bad things happen.  One
> of those bad things is cars running off the road and crashing. The
> Internet analog of this is called 'packet loss'. We want to hold it to
> a minimum.

I object to that, since it compares packet loss to a catastrophic
failure.  (I would personally argue against a car analogy in the first
place, but that's just stylistic preference.)

> Suppose your rule for when a car gets to leave the parking lot is the
> simplest possible: it fills up until it overflows, then cars are let
> out the downstream side as fast as they can go.

I'm not sure what kind of buffer you're trying to illustrate.  That's
certainly not how I understand tail-drop buffers.

Finally, I'd argue that you're being too harsh on QoS techniques.

--Juliusz