[Bloat] Background Bufferbloat Detector

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:34:39 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 20:03, Richard Scheffenegger <rscheff at gmx.at> wrote:

> Perhaps Bittorrent Clients can be used to export the one-way delay, as
> measured by the µTP protocol, to build an complementary background
> bufferbloat detector [..]
>
> And, hosting legal content on one's own Bittorrent Client should provide
> ample opportunity to get decent measurements, without the need to negotiate
> with someone else about taking readings off some debug-log from an NTP
> server....

The only "slight" problem is that not all clients support µTP. You are
limited to hacking either KTorrent 4.0+ (C++) or Vuze (Java). There
are C clients in progression however (Transmission, libtorrent). My
"own" client (in Erlang) has been putting off the implementation,
mostly because I'd rather see TCP fixed :) But perhaps this could be a
good opportunity to just hack up that protocol :)

BitTorrent also has the advantage that it often connects to hosts from
all over the world, so if there is any indication in the data, it
should definitely be able to see a trend.

--
J.