[Bloat] Bloat on Layer 2 Was: ECN & AQM Hall of Fame?

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Mon Jan 31 10:36:00 EST 2011

There is currently a IPPM Draft in the works, talking about TCP Performance
measurement methodology. It talks a little bit about measuring throughput
during steady state and using in-band latency measurements (instead of ICMP
pings in parallel):

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-11

As of yet, there is no detailed discussion section about buffer bloat in
that doc (and it may be out-of-scope to discuss this effect in there very
extensively), but it might be good to have more knowledgable people review
that doc as well, and give some feedback to the authors.

After all, doing meaningful measurements is obviously the very first step
necessary to reveal this to a larger audience and make people aware. Hinting
at buffer bloat in a standard doc that talks about TCP performance
measurment seems to be a good idea!

Best regards,
   Richard

BTW, I found this legacy document, where the authors boldly claim that more
buffers are always better for 802.11 networks, to circumvent costly TCP
congestion control decisions....
http://csl.snu.ac.kr/~ecpark/papers/TCP_WLAN_TMC08.pdf

Also, this paper hints that more buffers are better:
http://www.ieee-infocom.org/2004/Papers/16_1.PDF
(I didn't spot a mentioning, that a packet switches network with infinite
buffering will deliver zero goodput under congestion, as has been prooven in
the dawn of time :). Here, the authors seem to be concerned only with work
conservation on each individual router interface - i.e. that no interfaces
is ever idle....). But at least: "The important aspect of end-to-end packet
delay evaluation taking into consideration retransmissions of lost packets
is beyond the scope of this paper."

Ah, so many unexploited paths to go (tweaking ACK windowsizes by the network
in 802.11, for example, to give detailed congestion/network goodput feedback
to the tcp sender)....

Richard