[Bloat] Improving the murray hill's presentation

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Mon Jan 31 10:48:15 EST 2011

I took a pass at improving the audio to jg's speech at Murray Hill.

http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/BellLabs01192011/murray_hill01192011_Bufferbloat_Talk_Edited_For_brevity.mp3

With your choice of slides

http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/BellLabs01192011/

The audio and slides *in combination* are pretty effective, however:

1) most people download either the slides or the audio, not both.

2) The edit has the net effect of increasing jg's delivery to ~750
millalampsons. It was my ultimate intent to cut this apart and time it
to the slides, rather than add more natural pauses, but...

3) I've tried this out on a few technical, but not seriously technical,
people and their takeaway was not what I wanted. By the time they get to
the end their brain buffers had overflowed.

I'd to circle back to a simple, pragmatic summary of "this is the
problem, this is where it is, this is what you can do to fix it",

and close with that, in the hope that the core points are retained.

4) I have to admit I edit audio (ardour and protools) a lot, but not
presentations, and in order to fit this on youtube or the like, there's
a choice between increasing the number of slides or finding a means to
screencast it as is.

Ideas? Tools?

QA and suggestions on what's up already gladly welcomed.

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net