[Bloat] Notes about hacking on AQMs

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Wed Jun 8 13:50:44 EDT 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:52:07 -0600
Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Le mercredi 08 juin 2011 à 09:51 -0600, Dave Taht a écrit :
> >

> >> And they are *all* wrong to varying extents, which is why I like the
> >> 'mondo classifier' idea for DSCP+firewalling mentioned earlier on this
> >> thread. Converging on several standards for packet marking vs the
> >> adhoc-ness of thousands of different partial solutions that now exist
> >> really makes sense to me.
> >
> > I can tell you there are hundred of different *valid* setups, especially
> > in server farms, when you want some control of network trafic, now
> > machines have Gb or 10Gb links...
>
> Well, there are hundreds of thousands of completely ad-hoc solutions
> of varying degrees of effacy.
>
> Getting it down to mere hundreds would be be a good start.
>
> > Really, there is no "one big thing that solves all problems,
> > automatically".
>
> Oh, I agree.

It isn't just a Linux problem. Cisco and Juniper have been doing
QoS solutions for years. Like Linux there is the "billions of knobs
version" and the KISS version. The KISS versions are fair queueing
based. The problem is that the more complex QoS variants can't be
done in ASIC's and go down the software path.  Linux has the same
problem, the more complex QoS ends up requiring locks that embed
performance.