[Bloat] Three new diffserv codepoints suggested

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 01:05:44 EDT 2011

So I sat down and took the fragments of various qos scripts I'd been
fiddling with, and came up with a diffserv
classifier (doesn't do qos or cope with nat yet) that matches a great
deal of traffic somewhat sanely (notably 'IT', 'mice', and ipv6). It
should work on any linux box, as well as openwrt - (but note nat & qos
caveat above)

It's in my github repo at:

https://github.com/dtaht/Diffserv

(send me your login, I'll give commit access, or you can just do a:

git clone git://github.com/dtaht/Diffserv.git

cd Diffserv/scripts

sudo ./diffserv_dbg up # to turn it on
sudo ./diffserv_dbg status # to see some statistics

Various iptables rules for ecn matches, etc, in there, too.
(the ecn match for ipv6 requires netfilter-head)

While the huge problems of classifying traffic on a large scale on the
edge seem almost tractable with crowdsourcing, still the plethora of
random sources on port 80 seem impossible to cope with.

One thing I intend to use this for is to be able to track delays
through the network. I can now filter on a given
traffic class during real traffic, during a tcp dump, with and without
qos enabled, with or without debloating techniques in place.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com