[Bloat] Notes about hacking on AQMs

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Thu Jun 23 18:38:10 EDT 2011

> I will also attempt to argue persuasively that having ECN packet marking in HTB

I'm not following you.  You can only perform ECN marking when you detect
congestion; and you can only detect congestion if you're queueing.
I may be wrong, but I believe that HTB doesn't do any queueing itself,
it delegates queuing to its child qdiscs; hence, I don't see how you can
perform ECN marking in HTB itself; you should be doing it in HTB's child
qdisc.

> RED has it's own idea as to the 'bandwidth' available, and does not
> understand what it's getting has already been shaped by HTB.

I'm not sure I understand that.

-- Juliusz