[Bloat] Unleashing Tor, BitTorrent & Co.: How, to Relieve TCP Deficiencies in Overlays

Florian Tschorsch tschorsch at cs.uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Mar 17 04:28:16 PDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I recently came across your project about bufferbloat. It seems that you
are following similiar aims as we did in one of our contributions.

We analyzed the effects and implications of TCP interferences in overlay
networks cuased by saturated interface queues. Further we show that
traffic shaping mechanisms alone are not enough and thus propose a
methodology to overcome this issue.

Abstract: In TCP-based overlay applications, the TCP connections of one
peer typically share one physical Internet link. Using real-world
experiments, we demonstrate that this can lead to undesirable
interactions, causing significant throughput loss. We argue that such
effects should be taken into account in the design of overlay networks,
and identify readily deployable countermeasures. In a first step, we show
that with existing operating system QoS functionality some relief is
possible. Yet, this alone is not fully effective if peers communicate
bidirectionally, due to piggybacked ACKs. We propose to separate
bidirectionally used overlay links into two independent TCP connections,
and demonstrate the effectiveness of this strategy.

A more in-depth discussion, including experimental results etc., has
been accepted as a paper to last year's IEEE LCN conference (Marks,
Tschorsch, Scheuermann: "Unleashing Tor, BitTorrent & Co.: How to
Relieve TCP Deficiencies in Overlays"). An extended version of this
paper (even more results...) is available as a technical report here:

http://www.cn.uni-duesseldorf.de/publications/library/Marks2010b.pdf

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Florian.

--
Florian Tschorsch
Mobile and Decentralized Networks