[Bloat] Random idea in reaction to all the discussion of TCP flavours - timestamps?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 15 10:40:23 EDT 2011

I've just been re-reading Van's "A Rant on Queues", found at:
http://pollere.net/Pdfdocs/QrantJul06.pdf and am struck by a few
observations in particular there.

Slide 14 is useful to focus the mind on the problem we face with home
routers (or many of these individual boxes in the network): " Three minor
(and completely standard) variations in protocol implementation give three
wildly different average queue lengths. I.e., the average queue
length contains *no* information about demand or load."

This sends me thinking in interesting directions... First, to stop focusing
on the current length of the queues as having any useful information.  It
doesn't.  Any buffer (or delay) in the system will translate to window
opening, and apps attempting to fill them.  We gotta keep the queue length
down.

Slide 32 states:
Suggestions

• Queue length is meaningless (but long term min can be useful).
• Try have at least a bandwidth*delay of  buffer.
• Don’t let it stay full.
• ....

Ok, I am struck by the first suggestion: we can in fact monitor the long
term minimum time, whether by using TCP timestamps, or other hackish
measures.

Whenever packets are delayed by significantly more than this minimum time,
we know we are congested, and should be marking.  We really want to cause
the buffer to empty.

There is an interesting question about what "long term minimum" means
here...
                            - Jim