[Bloat] Random idea in reaction to all the discussion of TCP flavours - timestamps?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Mar 15 15:59:23 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 21:40 +0200, Jonathan Morton wrote:
> On 15 Mar, 2011, at 8:31 pm, John W. Linville wrote:
>
> > If you don't throttle _both_
> > the _enqueue_ and the _dequeue_, then you could be keeping a nice,
> > near-empty tx queue on the host and still have a long, bloated queue
> > building at the device.
>
> Don't devices at least let you query how full their queue is?

I believe John is referring to the queue(s) in the intermediate devices.
While it may be possible to query the queue lengths there (at one point
the MIBs had entries for that) it is still impractical - for one thing,
apart from the next-hop device, the host knows nothing about queues out
there.  Heck, the host may not even know about the next hop device - it
could be transparent.

rick jones