[Bloat] Progress with latency-under-load tool

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 22:31:44 EDT 2011

I'm finally getting a handle on sockets programming again - the API has actually *changed* since I last used it - so the testing tool I was talking about is starting to actually do semi-useful things.

For example, just over the localhost "connection", maxRTT is already almost 2ms with no load.  That's CPU scheduling latency.  The tool prints this out as "Link Responsiveness: 556", since it displays Hz in order to give marketing-friendly "bigger is better" numbers.

Now to write a couple of lovely functions called "spew" and "chug".  I'll let you guess what they do...

 - Jonathan