[Bloat] Random idea in reaction to all the discussion of TCPflavours - timestamps?

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Wed Mar 16 18:22:24 EDT 2011

Heretical question: Why must the congestion notification implemented as a
(distributed) function of the network itself, and take the reaction of the
end hosts into consideration. If the signaling would only indicate the local
congestion state, but then move the reaction to that into the end hosts, i
think the design would be much more simple.

If the network would let the (reactive) senders know the extent of the
current congestion, the end hosts can use more smarts and react to it
properly.

However, AQMs are designed with the standard TCP reaction in mind - half the
sending rate at any indication of congestion within one RTT.

(See DCTCP, Conex for additional information).

Furthermore, I learned that a couple of 10G switch vendors are planning to
have up to 4 GB of buffer RAM in their next generation of switches. So we
are not talking about thousands of packets in the buffer, but of millions of
packets (think of up to 400ms buffering if only a single 10G egress port is
being loaded in such a switch). Compared to the base RTT of a 10G network (a
few tens of microseconds, some vendors go even below a microsecond), this is
even more extreme than the home router / DSLAM scenario...

Regards,
  Richard