[Bloat] Progress with latency-under-load tool

grenville armitage garmitage at swin.edu.au
Sun Mar 20 16:33:45 EDT 2011

On 03/20/2011 21:45, Jonathan Morton wrote:
	[..]
> Here are some numbers I got from a test over a switched 100base-TX LAN:
>
>      Upload Capacity: 1018 KiB/s
>    Download Capacity: 2181 KiB/s
> Link Responsiveness: 2 Hz
>      Flow Smoothness: 1 Hz
>
> Horrible, isn't it?  I deliberately left these machines with standard configurations in order to show that.

Perhaps a tangential 2 cents from me, but I'm unclear how helpful Hertz is as
a unit of measurement for the challenge of raising awareness of bufferbloat.
I suspect data networking people (whether network designers, admins, product
managers, etc) don't think of IP networks as having characteristics measured in
Hertz. And I'd imagine most ISP helpdesks wont know how to parse customer complaints
along the lines of "your service doesn't give me enough Hertz".  Perhaps your tool
could also add a parenthetical 'translation' of the responsiveness and smoothness
values into something expressed in milliseconds?

cheers,
gja