[Bloat] Random idea in reaction to all the discussion of TCPflavours - timestamps?

Dave Täht d at taht.net
Sun Mar 20 19:04:35 EDT 2011

grenville armitage <garmitage at swin.edu.au> writes:

> On 03/21/2011 09:50, Dave Täht wrote:
> 	[..]
>
>> We're not testing interplanetary networks here, (rather, an
>> artificially induced one extending out well beyond the moon!) but it
>> bears a little thinking about.
>
> Perhaps an idea for presenting bufferbloat visually? Draw a picture of
> the space around the Earth, with circles around the earth whose
> diameters are proportional to bufferbloat-induced equivalent RTT
> across different ISP links, or different consumer hardware,
> etc. "Bufferbloat puts New York on the far side of the moon!" might be
> a tagline to get people's attention ;)

That is similar to one of the ideas I had while prototyping the cosmic
background bufferbloat detector. (Since stalled out due issues with
mapping ntp data types to postgres and postgis data types)

There are some excellent caida and network geography maps that do something
like this, and it would make the point, thoroughly

See, for example:

http://www.mail-archive.com/bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net/msg00050.html

And the graphic at the middle left down (linked from the above) at:

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/cybergeography//atlas/geographic.html

Several other ideas in the above worth thinking about. I mentally see a
map of the US pulsating like a old winamp graphic eq plugin, with
vertical 3D bars over each location extending into space while the earth
rotates under the terminator....

> cheers,
> gja

Dave Taht