[Bloat] Fwd: Identifying TCP congestion control algorithms, and measurement results

Otto Solares solca at guug.org
Wed Mar 23 15:14:15 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 08:13:08AM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> This showed up on the end-to-end mailing list and might be of interest
> to this group. It is interesting how many hosts are still using BIC
> (probably RHEL/Centos 5). BIC is known to be broken and unfair.

Too those "web servers use abnormal slow start algorithms" could be
related to sites using IW10 or more for the initial cwnd:

http://blog.benstrong.com/2010/11/google-and-microsoft-cheat-on-slow.html

IW10 seems to be part now of mainline Linux since 2.6.37:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=356f039822b8d802138f7121c80d2a9286976dbd
-
 Otto