[Bloat] Thoughts on Stochastic Fair Blue

richard richard at pacdat.net
Thu Mar 24 16:44:32 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 05:30 +0000, Dave Hart wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 01:03 UTC, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> >
> > [1] Aleksandar Kuzmanovic. The power of explicit congestion
> >    notification. In Proceedings of the 2005 conference on Applications,
> >    technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer
> >    communications. 2005.
>
> http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~akuzma/doc/ecn.pdf
>
> appears to be the paper Juliusz cited.

If nothing else, I take away from this paper that ECN should be applied
(at least) on servers (and they advocate clients and routers) to TCP
control packets (e.g. SYN and ACK packets) as well as data packets
despite the potential (accepted admin legend???) that this might be a
"bad thing" for reasons of aiding a potential SYN-flood attack vector.

The point that doing this provides "instant" goodness for the ECN
machines and only gradual degradation of non-ECN machines provides
incentive to switch on ECN (and change to adding it to SYN/ACK too) no
matter what AQM is being used, even the brain-dead one they came up with
to test against RED.

richard