[Bloat] Goodput fraction w/ AQM vs bufferbloat

Stephen Hemminger shemminger at vyatta.com
Thu May 5 12:10:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:01:22 -0400
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> On 04/30/2011 03:18 PM, Richard Scheffenegger wrote:
> > I'm curious, has anyone done some simulations to check if the
> > following qualitative statement holds true, and if, what the
> > quantitative effect is:
> >
> > With bufferbloat, the TCP congestion control reaction is unduely
> > delayed. When it finally happens, the tcp stream is likely facing a
> > "burst loss" event - multiple consecutive packets get dropped. Worse
> > yet, the sender with the lowest RTT across the bottleneck will likely
> > start to retransmit while the (tail-drop) queue is still overflowing.
> >
> > And a lost retransmission means a major setback in bandwidth (except
> > for Linux with bulk transfers and SACK enabled), as the standard (RFC
> > documented) behaviour asks for a RTO (1sec nominally, 200-500 ms
> > typically) to recover such a lost retransmission...
> >
> > The second part (more important as an incentive to the ISPs actually),
> > how does the fraction of goodput vs. throughput change, when AQM
> > schemes are deployed, and TCP CC reacts in a timely manner? Small ISPs
> > have to pay for their upstream volume, regardless if that is "real"
> > work (goodput) or unneccessary retransmissions.
> >
> > When I was at a small cable ISP in switzerland last week, surely
> > enough bufferbloat was readily observable (17ms -> 220ms after 30 sec
> > of a bulk transfer), but at first they had the "not our problem" view,
> > until I started discussing burst loss / retransmissions / goodput vs
> > throughput - with the latest point being a real commercial incentive
> > to them. (They promised to check if AQM would be available in the CPE
> > / CMTS, and put latency bounds in their tenders going forward).
> >
> I wish I had a good answer to your very good questions.  Simulation
> would be interesting though real daa is more convincing.
>
> I haven't looked in detail at all that many traces to try to get a feel
> for how much bandwidth waste there actually is, and more formal studies
> like Netalyzr, SamKnows, or the Bismark project would be needed to
> quantify the loss on the network as a whole.
>
> I did spend some time last fall with the traces I've taken.  In those,
> I've typically been seeing 1-3% packet loss in the main TCP transfers.
> On the wireless trace I took, I saw 9% loss, but whether that is
> bufferbloat induced loss or not, I don't know (the data is out there for
> those who might want to dig).  And as you note, the losses are
> concentrated in bursts (probably due to the details of Cubic, so I'm told).
>
> I've had anecdotal reports (and some first hand experience) with much
> higher loss rates, for example from Nick Weaver at ICSI; but I believe
> in playing things conservatively with any numbers I quote and I've not
> gotten consistent results when I've tried, so I just report what's in
> the packet captures I did take.
>
> A phenomena that could be occurring is that during congestion avoidance
> (until TCP loses its cookies entirely and probes for a higher operating
> [...]

I would not put a lot of trust in measuring loss with pings.
I heard that some ISP's do different processing on ICMP's used
for ping packets. They either prioritize them high to provide
artificially good response (better marketing numbers); or
prioritize them low since they aren't useful traffic.
There are also filters that only allow N ICMP requests per second
which means repeated probes will be dropped.